Boston Town fixture was a 'Bre-Eze' for Melton

Henry Eze scored a hat-trick and Paul Anderson scored direct from a free-kick as Melton Town beat Boston Town 4-1 at Sign Right Park on Saturday afternoon.

It was the visitors that started the stronger though, Lee Beeson had a go from 20 yards out in the first minute but shot well over the bar. Melton started to get into the game and their first effort came in the 11th minute when Karl Whymark had a shot from 20 yards out which also cleared the bar. Just a minute later an Anderson corner picked out Eze unmarked at the back post and his powerful header gave Ross Woolley no chance for his first Melton Town goal.

Henry Eze heads his first Melton Town goal on Saturday. Photo: NEMM.

Melton were now on the front foot and a move down the left saw the ball played behind Bailey Dilley with Sam Beaver running onto it and checking back before letting fly, only to see his attempt miss the far post by inches. 20 minutes gone and another Anderson corner found Eze at the back post but this time his header had to be cleared from under the bar.

The next attack saw Owen Storey crossing a ball from the right touchline which was met by an Anderson header that needed Woolley at full stretch to tip the ball past the post. Storey and Zak Munton played a one two which saw the latter clean through on the keeper but too close to get a shot off.

Henry Eze took home the match ball on Saturday after scoring three goals at Signright Park. Photo: NEMM

Minutes later and Tom Harris and Beaver also played a one two which put the latter through on goal, Beaver still had a low shot from a tight angle which was well blocked by Woolley. Then Melton got their well-deserved second when Anderson’s free kick from 25 yards out found the top corner. His second direct free-kick goal in three matches.

Melton started the second half much as they finished the first and extended their lead two minutes in when Anderson’s floated free kick was met by Eze who powered another header into the roof of the net. A Beaver cross was met with a half volley from Anderson which was well saved as Melton kept pushing for more goals.

Paul Anderson in action on Saturday afternoon against Boston Town. Photo: NEMM

Anderson again was played through on goal by a Munton pass but Woolley managed to get down fast enough to prevent a fourth. Boston should have pulled one back in the 77th minute when a corner was not cleared by the hosts and fell to Lee Beeson six yards out but he blasted over. 10 minutes to go and Mulvany played a ball behind Dilley to Beaver who sent in a low cross which Munton met with an outstretched boot but unfortunately saw it fly over the bar.

Then, with just two minutes to go a Munton corner was not cleared by Boston and Eze smashed the ball into the net left-footed for his hat-trick. In the last minute a Boston ball out wide was sent in low for the unmarked Pharrell Waite to tap in from two yards out. The race for fifth is now on as Melton showed, with this result and the 3-3 draw with Loughborough Students last week, that they can battle with the top five teams. They were probably more dominant than the scoreline showed and will now look forward to the visit of Holbeach United next Saturday before going to Boston for their return game a week later.

Report by Sam Ellis

Photos: NEMM

54 views0 comments