Five goal thriller sees Melton Town move up to 7th in league

Melton Town followed up an emphatic win on Saturday with an impressive 5-0 victory over Eastwood on Tuesday. Goals from Ryan Calver and Zak Munton began the goal fest before a seven minute hat-trick from Tyreace Palmer completed the rout.

Saturdays first home win of the season enthused an optimistic crowd, that once again braved another stormy evening that saw both teams take time to adjust as the early exchanges were spent in the midfield.

The first chance fell to Melton after some poor defending from the visitors saw Munton stealing the ball and through on goal, but for a last ditch tackle from Louis Anthony to save their blushes. In the 17th minute a collision between Cam Gilchrist and Lavell White ended with White’s elbow felling Gilchrist, resulting in a straight red for the Eastwood forward.

Melton used the man advantage to dominate possession but Eastwood defended resolutely, Calver had a shot from distance which went inches wide of bar and post. The first shot on target came from the visitors when a mix up in the Melton defence saw Finn Hunter pounce on a loose ball, hammering in a shot which needed a finger-tip save from Bill Harrison to prevent a goal.

A lovely through ball from Henry Dunn found Palmer clear on goal but his chip of the keeper saw the ball agonisingly wide of the far post. Just before the break Munton and Dunn played a one two which deflected off Luke Slater as Munton’s low shot went inches wide of the post.

The second half started pretty much as the first finished, with Town on the front foot and patiently looking for gaps in the defence. In the 51st minute the deadlock was broken when Calver went on a run into the box, the ball ricocheted off two defenders but the Melton Captain carried on his run and slotted low past Mark Rathbone.

Tyreace Palmer in action for Melton. Photo: NEMM/File Photo.

Melton doubled their lead in the 71st minute when a chip over the left back found Sam Beaver clear with a run down the line, his low cross found Munton whose first time touch nestled in the bottom corner of the net. Moments later it was 3-0. A ball into the box from Ryan Robbins was half-volleyed by Palmer giving the keeper no chance as it found the top corner.

78 minutes in, a Munton corner picked out Palmer unmarked in the six yard box, his glancing header went inside the far post to make it 4-0. The rout was complete in the 83rd minute when another Munton corner was headed in by the unmarked Palmer for his first hat-trick for the club. A well-deserved win for Melton who have now only two defeats in their last ten games, moving them up to 7th in league.

There are big tests to come in the next few weeks as Melton take on three of the top four, starting with the visit of unbeaten league leaders Long Eaton United to The Sports Village on Saturday (15:00 KO).

Attendance: 152

Words by Sam Ellis.

19 views0 comments