Melton Town come away winners after home goal fest


Melton welcomed another high flyer in the league to Sign Right Park on Saturday. Heather St. John’s, who we’d met just twice before, once in a County Cup Final and earlier this season, with both games ending in draws.

The game got off at a fast pace with a lot of one touch football. The first chance of the game fell to the visitors when a challenge on the edge of the area fell to Cameron Collins whose first time shot went straight at Bill Harrison in the Melton goal.

With seven minutes gone, Melton’s first real attack came when Leon Fray broke through the midfield, beating four challenges before passing to Tom Harris, whose low shot slipped past the diving Aidan Jeynes, creeping just inside the far post.

Melton doubled their lead in the 14th minute as a long ball out to Paul Anderson on the far touchline saw him beat the right back, sending in a low cross along the goalline where Cameron Smith was at the far post to tap in from two yards out.

The advantage didn’t last long though as Melton were hit by a sucker punch straight from the kick off. Heather striker Sam Ellis received the ball midway inside the Melton half and let fly from 25 yards, beating Harrison with a looping shot. The game became a chess match as both teams passed well without creating too many chances.

After the break, the second half started pretty much the same. Ollie Jarret had a shot from the edge of the area but a deflection took the sting out of it as Harrison comfortably collected it. A deflected clearance found Mitchell Woakes clear on goal but Harrison pulled off a tremendous save to prevent the equaliser.

On the hour mark a great ball was played behind the Melton defence, finding Sam Ellis one on one with the keeper, Harrison closed the gap quickly and blocked the shot. With Heather in the ascendency, Melton made a couple of substitutions which turned the tide.

With 17 minutes to go Ryan Calver made a run down the right side and sent a pin-point cross in to the box which was met by Jesse Hammond, whose first touch of the game was to send in a powerful header which left the keeper no chance.

Moments later Town put the game to bed when Calver, again on the right, beat the left back for pace and pulled the ball back to Zak Munton who smashed the ball into the roof of the net. It could have been five when Jordon Lever found Munton in the six yard box, he in turn played the ball to the oncoming Hammond, whose half volley was tipped over the bar.

The final effort came in the 90th minute when Lever had a go from the edge of the area only to see it go agonisingly inches wide of the post. Having now played Heather twice this season they remain one of the better footballing sides, but they couldn’t keep it going for 90 minutes as Melton’s fitness and finishing proved decisive.

Up next are Pinchbeck United who visit the Melton Sports Village on Saturday.

Report by Sam Ellis.

Photos: NEMM

23 views0 comments