Sport: Melton miss out as Leicester Nirvana show team spirit

Melton Town slipped to a second successive defeat on Saturday afternoon as Leicester Nirvana triumphed 4-2 at Sign Right Park despite goals from Sam Wilson and Paul Anderson.

After a slow start in the 1-0 defeat at home to Sleaford last week, the coaching staff had made a fast start a point of emphasis this week. They were duly rewarded when Sam Wilson turned in a corner at the far post as early as the second minute.

The lead was short-lived though as Eddie Lee scored the first of a brace in the 9th minute, coolly turning in a Dean Master cross after the winger was able to escape his man down the right-hand side.

Melton fought as hard as they could but failed to get a win on Saturday. Photo: NEMM

Tom Manship’s side had plenty of possession and were creating good opportunities throughout the opening half an hour. The Reds were making hay down the left with a series of balls across the face of goal that no one could quite get on the end of.

Nirvana were not having the same problem though, making the most of every opportunity, and in the 27th minute they took the lead through a similar goal to their first, but with Master on the end of this ball on the opposite post.

The visitors began to take over from that point, dominating play for the next 10 minutes or so until Tom Harris sprang free in the middle, taking the ball around Jacob Wood on the edge of the area, but being forced wide enough that Tom Howard was able to get back and block Harris’ goal-bound effort.

It was a tough game on Saturday afternoon as Melton Town come away with a 4-2 defeat. Photo: NEMM

As quickly as Melton had come out of the blocks in the first half, Nirvana got off to a flying start in the second, Lee beating the offside trap and comfortably making it 3-1 to Nirvana in the 46th minute.

A treble substitution from Melton saw the pattern of the match swing back in favour of the home side as they laid siege to the visitors’ goal, with Wood having to make a string of saves to maintain the two goal advantage. The pressure eventually told though as Anderson struck a wonderful free kick from just outside the box that Wood could do nothing about.

Melton Town in action on Saturday afternoon. Photo: NEMM

Moments later there was drama at the other end as Nirvana were awarded what looked to be a soft penalty. Perhaps justice was done when Harrison dove to his left to deny Master from the spot. Melton continued to push for the equaliser, coming close several times with Syme Mulvany and Zak Munton forcing saves from Wood.

Despite the pressure, there would be no equaliser as Nirvana drove the final nail in at the death, Rheiss McLean struck at the far post to make it 4-2 and take the match beyond reach. Town remain seventh in the table and have a tough test to come as they host fourth placed Loughborough Students on Saturday the 19th of February at Melton Sports Village.

Report by Adam Etheridge

85 views0 comments