SPORT: Cottesmore Amateurs drown Ellistown FC


Cottesmore Amateurs FC welcomed Ellistown, to Wet-stray Park on a soggy afternoon hoping to make it 7 wins on the bounce. The pitch held the rain up well and looked as good ever! Massive thank you from all the players to the grounds staff, we really do appreciate your hard work. 3 points was all that could be achieved today as the return of the chairman inspired the lads to take all 3 points.

Cotts started the game really well, with fast pace passes all over the park, and domination of possession in the early stages. After a couple of half chances it was Cropper who opened the deadlock, with his 5th goal of the season.

Sabberton finding him unmarked on the edge of the box to fire a low drive in to the bottom left with his right peg 1-0. Looking relatively untroubled at the back it was one way traffic from then on with Cotts pressing high in search of another and then a moment of madness saw Ellistown to 10 men.

A horrendous challenge on Skipper J Smith forced him off (Seals on), the resulting challenge angered the green men and Cotts came close to increasing their lead shortly after, Stannard finding Pope in the box with a delightful cross but his header was well saved, and the corner that followed was inch perfect from Atkins finding McDonald to head home and put Cottesmore 2-0 up at half-time.

Ellistown player instantly dismissed for foul on Captain Jordy Smith. Photo; NEMM.

The half-time team talk was all about killing the game, as Cottesmore have struggled to do this with games thus far, and sadly it was more edge of the seat stuff for the management team, Stannard and Atkins going close to increasing the lead early on with a number of chances but it was the visitors that got the next, getting in behind on the break and L Smith brought down his man, the resulting penalty perfectly dispatched, 2-1. The game then became very open both teams having a couple of chances and Cottesmore seemed to have lost their mojo for a short while, but it was soon founded when Seals picked out Popes run sending him clean through, Pope deciding to take it round the keeper and tapped in to an empty net to increase the lead.

Ellistown caught out on the break again shortly after when Atkins found space down the right once again (had the left back on toast all game) and fired a low pass in the box to Pope who sent the centre half back to Coalville before slotting it bottom left, 4-1. Pope could’ve and should’ve completed his hat-trick shortly after but was only able to see his effort well saved by the keeper.

Tom Pope smashes the ball in to the net following a great run by the Cotts Player. Photo: NEMM.

100% win rate retained and full focus on to Tuesday night where the green man travel to Thurnby Rangers.

Cotts Captain Jordy Smith before his injury forced substitution. Photo: NEMM.

Line Up: Brown, Denigan, Smith, Wilke, Cropper(Bendle), McDonald(Robson), J Smith(Seals), Atkins, Stannard, Pope.


215 views0 comments