top of page
  • Writer's pictureNEMM

Ex-England cricketers host 'thank you' lunch for Firefighters

Firefighters from across Nottinghamshire attended a ‘thank you’ lunch at the Tap & Run near Melton, following a fire last year.


The pub was sadly destroyed in a huge fire on 11 June 2022, and has recently reopened following a 380-day closure.


Ex-England cricketers and owners of the pub, Stuart Broad and Harry Gurney, extended an invitation for firefighters who tackled the fire to return to the pub again to be thanked personally by the team and to enjoy an exclusive lunch.



Firefighters pictured with Harry Gurney (middle). Photo: Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service.


Managing Director, Harry Gurney, said: "It was amazing to be able to shake the hands of the men and women who tackled the blaze on that awful night and to thank them personally for everything they did.


To us, the Tap & Run isn’t just a building, and it isn’t just a pub. It’s the livelihood of everyone that works here, and it’s so special to be able to look these men and women in the eye and say thank you.”


West Bridgford Fire Station were the first crews on scene at around 3:30am on the morning of 11th June last year and were greeted with a well-developed fire.



Crews on the morning of the blaze. Photo: NEMM


Watch Manager, Sam Featherstone, said: “At the height of the fire we had eight fire engines plus the Aerial Ladder Platform in attendance, and crews worked as hard as they could to save the pub. Sadly, due to the fire and water damage, not all of it could be saved, which resulted in the pub needing to be restored and renovated.


“It’s very humbling to be thanked personally like this. It’s very rare that we receive this sort of recognition, so it’s lovely to be welcomed back to the pub and thanked in person.”



Crews on the morning of the blaze. Photo: NEMM


A Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: "The cause was deemed as an accidental electrical fire after laundry ignited in a tumble dryer. We want to use this as a reminder to never leave your appliance unattended or on overnight, and never leave materials in your tumble dryer."


18 views0 comments

Comments

Couldn’t Load Comments
It looks like there was a technical problem. Try reconnecting or refreshing the page.
bottom of page