top of page
  • Writer's pictureNEMM

Man who sexually assaulted two women jailed for 13 years

A man who sexually assaulted two women, carrying out the second attack just weeks after the first incident while on court bail, has been sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Krystian Surmaj, 23, had been charged with sexual assault following an incident in Welby Lane, Melton Mowbray, on 1 January this year and appeared at magistrates’ court.

But while on conditional bail from court, awaiting his next hearing, Surmaj, of Drummond Walk, Melton Mowbray, committed the second attack on 16 January sexually assaulting a woman in Elmhurst Avenue, Melton Mowbray.

Following police enquiries, he was charged with a second sexual assault offence and remanded into custody.

Today (Thursday) at Leicester Crown Court, he has been sentenced for his crimes and will serve 13 years in prison. He was found guilty of both offences after a trial at the same court last month.

Police had received a report on Friday 1 January this year that a woman had been walking along Welby Lane during the afternoon when she passed Surmaj standing in the street. The woman then felt her hood being pulled backwards and turned around to see Surmaj who then sexually assaulted her. The victim started to scream and kicked the defendant which led to him running away.

The victim reported the incident to police and enquiries were carried out including speaking with the victim and witnesses and analysing CCTV. This led to Surmaj being arrested and subsequently charged on 10 January with the offence. Support was provided to the victim.

On 16 January, police received a report that a woman had been sexually assaulted while walking in the area of Elmhurst Avenue, Melton Mowbray, during the evening.

The victim had become aware of the defendant in the area and believed he was following her. A short while later, the defendant then grabbed her and sexually assaulted her. The victim began to scream and struggle and tried to push him off which led to the defendant running off.

The incident was reported to police shortly after and enquiries carried out. Support was provided to the victim by officers and at the Juniper Lodge sexual assault referral centre.

CCTV and forensic enquiries led to Surmaj being identified as responsible for the attack and he was arrested. This led to him being charged on 21 January this year.

11 views0 comments


bottom of page